Taking good care of YOU is an act of self-love and self-respect. Sometimes, we get so busy taking care of other people, or our careers, that we forget to nurture ourselves. Why is it important to nurture YOU? Because you can’t pour from an empty cup! There is no shame in taking the time you need for YOU to re-boot and re-align. This is the ONLY way you can share your true gifts with the world.
How you practice self-care is unique to you. Everybody is different, so don't be surprised if someone else's form of self-care doesn't work well for you. Experiment and expand how you practice taking sweet care of wonderful YOU. Keep in mind that "boring self-care" is still a great way to show yourself some extra love. This includes things like washing the dishes & scrubbing the countertops, or washing the sheets on your bed. On the other end of the spectrum is lighting scented candles (or setting up your oil diffuser) and taking a long, indulgent bubble bath. Every once in a while, a good night of partying with friends can also be just what you need to nurture your spirit.
The first part of self-care is AWARENESS. You can’t know to take care of yourself if you aren’t paying attention to what you need, and what you need changes from day to day, season to season. Take some time to tune in with yourself and consider how you are feeling, how you've BEEN feeling. This will help you make the best choice for how to show yourself some TLC. Go out on a limb and surprise yourself with love.
Here are some general categories of self-care, and some options for how to proceed. Remember, your own intuition or idea of what you need in that moment is your true teacher. Some of these suggestions will provide you with good PREVENTATIVE self-care as well! Stay feeling your best by putting self-care rituals into your routine each day!
- Keep it clean and moisturized with natural products (not chemicals)
- Epsom Salt Baths with scented oils
- Professional massage
- Dry Brushing to remove dead skin and stimulate lymph movement
- Exercise, or at least some significant daily movement
- Loving self-talk and Affirmations
Digestion (the seat of your overall health, according to Ayurveda):
- Avoid processed and fried foods
- Drink Apple Cider Vinegar (with water) or warm water with lemon in the mornings
- Don’t overeat (listen to your body!)
- Don’t eat too close to bedtime
- Eat more vegetables
- Have something fermented each day (kefir, kombucha, etc)
- Spend time in nature
- Exercise / daily movement
- Positive self-talk / affirmations
- Keeping a clean and tidy home, with plants and fresh flowers if possible
- Get some alone time
- Call a friend / make plans to see people
- Eat nourishing foods full of antioxidants
- Avoid having too much caffeine
- Paint, draw, craft
- Sniff on some essential oil
- Do something spontaneous
These are just some ideas, and I hope you will have many more. What is your favorite way to practice self-care? How often do you do it? Try to shake it up with your self-care by trying a new activity and notice if your go-to is always the same. Please share some ideas in the comments so we can all benefit! This is just a reminder to turn love towards yourself, care for yourself, and put your best food forward. <3